How to set up a Star TSP100 receipt printer for Lion and Mountain Lion OS (version 10.7-10.8)
Note: You will need administrator access on your computer to complete this installation.
- Click here to download the drivers for your Mac.
- The download is the same driver you use for Windows. The difference is you do NOT click the "Autorun" file. That is for Windows only.
- Open the folder you've just downloaded as normal. Go to the following sub folders: Mac > Driver > CUPS driver (Approximate folder name)
- Install the CUPS driver package by double clicking the file (this file will have a .pkg extension)
- Connect the printer to the computer using the USB cable.
- Power on the printer
- Open Safari and go to http://localhost:631/printers/
- If there is an error message in your browser then you will need to enable CUPS support.
- To do this open a Terminal window (a.k.a Bash Shell). (Run a search for "Terminal" if you can't find it)
- Once the terminal is open and running type: "cupsctl WebInterface=yes" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
- This will now enable a web interface to the printer settings. Go back to your browser and type http://localhost:631/printers/ again.
- Select your printer model
- Select from the drop down menu Set Default Options.
- Select Cash Drawer Control, choose Open Drawer 1 and click Set Default Options button.
- Now open the Phorest Software and go to Manager>Settings>Terminal Settings and select Star TSP100.
- You must set the printer as Driver in Phorest rather than Direct. There are no COM ports or virtual ports to create on a MAC.
- Important to note that in Driver mode the cash drawer will only open when a receipt is printed. Pressing Open Cash Drawer button in Manager > Cash Up will not work.